SETUP: default to mintty

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:37:00 GMT 2011

On 26 July 2011 09:17, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 25 21:18, Andy Koppe wrote:

>> > If I remember correctly, we were going to go with just "Cygwin" on the
>> > desktop. I'll have a proper look later.
>>
>> Problem: the shortcuts have the classic Cygwin icon whereas the
>> resulting terminal window has the mintty (née Konsole) icon. Worse, on
>> Windows 7 at least, the Cygwin icon also appears in the taskbar.
>
> Not on my W7.

But it does here. Cygwin icon on shortcut, Konsole icon on window,
Cygwin icon in taskbar. I'm afraid I've got no idea what determines
this. Could be to do with pinning, although I haven't got it pinned at
the moment.

>> It
>> needs to be the same icon throughout.
>
> Why?

Because they're meant to help users identify stuff. Perhaps the window
icon being different from the shortcut icon the user clicked on to
start it is just about tolerable, but the taskbar icon not matching
the window is very very wrong.

> I have no problems with either.  I like the mintty icon, but I also don't
> want to remove the Cygwin icon entirely since, as ugly as it may be, it's
> kind of a brand and has a recognition value, collected over the years.
>
> What about modernizing the Cygwin icon?

I quite like Chuck's take on this.

>  Or, what about having a mintty
> terminal icon with a small C in it? The only problem with this is, I'm
> anything but an artist...

Me neither, which is why I just picked an existing generic terminal
icon that I liked.

Regarding Warren's effort, the challenge is that it still needs to
look good at 16x16.

(Btw, mintty's --icon/-i option can be used to stick any icon on its window.)

Andy