setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue May 24 19:45:00 GMT 2011

On 24 May 2011 19:42, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On May 24 13:21, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >I had a quick look:
>> >
>> > "dosfilewarning" Sets a bool.  Has immediate effect.
>> > "envcache"       Ditto.
>> > "error_start"         Sets a string.  Has immediate effect.
>> > "export"         Sets a bool.  Has effect on exec'ed child processes.
>> > "glob"           Sets two bools.  Has effect on exec'ed child processes.
>> > "proc_retry"     Sets number.  Has immediate effect.
>> > "reset_com"      Sets bool.  Has immediate effect.
>> >               However, per the comment in fhandler_serial::open this
>> >                  works around a problem in Windows 9x!  Maybe we should
>> >                  kill the setting?
>>
>> Yep.  It's always fun to nuke those.
>
> Talking about nuking CYGWIN settings, I have at least two more candidates:
>
>  "envcache"   Did we ever had a problem which could be attributed
>               to this setting?
>
>  "export"     Does anybody really set CYGWIN settings in the registry?
>               Shouldn't we drop fetching CYGWIN settings from the registry
>               entirely?
>
>  "proc_retry" Does it really help?
>
> Personally I would also remove "strip_title", "display_title", and
> "upcaseenv", but that's just me.

The options remaining after such a cull are fairly obscure too, hence
I think the CYGWIN variable is the appropriate interface, in
particular if it will now be possible to set it in ~/.profile or
similar.

Adding a field to the mintty options dialog would of course be
possible, but I'd rather not, because those settings have nothing to
do with the terminal. Also, it looks suspiciously like the start of a
slippery slope towards options for all sorts of things.

Andy