[ITP] win-ssh-agent 1.07

Nayuta Taga ganaware+cygwin-apps@gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:18:00 GMT 2011

2011/11/4 Corinna Vinschen:> On Nov  4 15:37, Nayuta Taga wrote:>> (1)
I want to use it because the cygwin emacs does not have its own>>
windows.  The cygwin emacs works only in the terminal.> Try xemacs.
It has a Windows GUI fallback mode if there's no X display.
It's nice! I'll try it.
>> (2) I want to run it from the start menu or the Windows 7's task bar>>     (not from the cygwin bash shell).  It is the window's style to run>>     applications.>> You can start it from the start menu via a bash script which pulls in> the SSH_* environment before starting emacs.
Yes, I can.
2011/11/4 Eric Blake:>>>>> With the win-ssh-agent, we can use the
ssh-agent (available inthe>>>>> cygwin openssh) in the more smart
way.>>>>> Normally, we need to start all relevant programs, which
mightneed to>> I'm not sure why your mail came through so garbled, but
the large number of> missing spaces in your message distracts from
your attempt to appear> professional in offering a package.
I'm sorry for missing spaces.  I don't know why this happened ...
>> (3) I want to use the tramp ( http://www.gnu.org/s/tramp/ ) in the>>     ntemacs.  With it, I can treat documents on the remote machine>>     as if they are on the local machine by:>>            C-x C-f /sshx:username<at>hostname:~/remote-file>> Have you tried using the emacs that ships with cygwin?  It includes> tramp.elc already built in, without needing a separate download.
The URL is just a information for someone who are not familiar withthe
tramp.  I didn't download it from there.
> Unless you can give an example where an app in the cygwin distro would be> benefitted by adding a gui front-end to setting up the ssh-agent, and why> existing mechanisms of starting any cygwin app via a simple shell script> wrapper that attaches to $HOME/.keychain/${HOSTNAME}-sh if already present,> then I don't see why the cygwin distro needs win-ssh-agent.  I'm not saying> that win-ssh-agent is bad (on the contrary, it does seem to help your use> case of ntemacs), just that since your primary use case demonstration was as> a stand-alone app for helping other non-cygwin apps, and not something that> fills a void for interaction with existing cygwin apps.
Ok.  I understand why win-ssh-agent should be distributed
separatelyfrom the cygwin's distro.
Thanks for your valuable feedback.  I withdraw this ITP.--
Nayuta Taga