[ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

Fri Nov 4 21:13:00 GMT 2011

On 11/4/2011 2:29 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Your build still links against libbackend.a, rather than cygbackend.dll.
>
> I'm trying to massage your -src package to DTRT. Stay tuned.

I've posted a revised version of your package here:

http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/astrometry.net-0.38-2-src.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/astrometry.net-0.38-2.tar.bz2

Inside the -src tarball is the *original* upstream sources
(astrometry.net-0.38.tar.bz2), a few patches, and a .cygport script. to
rebuild, unpack the -src and do:

	$ cygport astrometry.net-0.38-2.cygport all

You should probably do that, to ensure that the build procedure works on
your machine. Also, to test the resuts; I have no idea how to use this
stuff.

Finally: the backend.exe program is linked to cygbackend.dll, which are
both in /usr/lib/astrometry/bin/.  All the python stuff, including three
extension DLLs, are in /usr/lib/astrometry/python/*/

I modified the build procedure for cygbackend.dll -- it now generates an
import lib, and it also (re)exports all of the symbols from the other
(sub)libraries.  That means when linking backend.exe, you don't need to
list those other dependencies, because cygbackend.dll will satisfy them
all. (*)

Provided you can rebuild this package on your machine, AND that it
actually works, consider it GTG.

(*) I did not do this, but because cygbackend now exports all the
symbols from (e.g.) libanfiles.a, libutils.a, libkd.a, etc, you COULD
modify the link commands for almost all of the /other/ .exe's in the
blind/ directory, which currently link against (many) of those static
libraries, to instead link solely against cygbackend.dll (actually,
libbackend.dll.a). That would make the entire package MUCH smaller.  But
it's a lot of work.

--
Chuck