[ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

Tue Nov 8 19:55:00 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 07:01:52PM +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>On 11/8/2011 8:19 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>I think it's kinda cool for cygwin be one of the first (not THE first;
>>>it's already in BSD ports IIUC) to provide these tools, so that's why I
>>>voted +1.
>>
>>^That is actually the type of answer I was looking for.  I wanted to
>>know why people thought the package was needed in the distro.
>
>Of course there is no "need" for such package, but I noticed that all
>distro have some astronomical package and at first glance they are not
>more used that Astrometry.

Sigh.  Ok.  Let me rephrase: "I wanted to know why people thought the
package was useful enough in the distro that they decided to vote for it
knowing that standard Linux distros do not contain the package".

If all distros have an astronomical package why aren't we looking to
get one of those rather than using one that isn't used in other Linux
distros?

>The time taken to approve is likely linked to such particular usage.

I can't precisely parse what you're trying to say but you seem to be
asserting that everyone else who voted +1 has done the same research as
you.  We already know that wasn't true.

>I looked at the website and they have a community, a mailing list,
>a bug tracker and some planning. It has some usage and I can image
>that porting to windows with cygwin is much simpler than trying
>another route. For that reason I voted +1.

I appreciate that you did some real research and came to a valid
conclusion but porting to Cygwin is a tautology here.  It can't be used
as part of a reason to include anything in the distro.

cgf

(I fully expect that at some point in this discussion someone will find
that this package is actually included in Debian or something, rendering
this whole point moot)