[RFC] Incremental autorebase

Wed Jun 20 11:18:00 GMT 2012

On Jun  3 18:02, ASSI wrote:
> As suggested in http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/132585 I have
> implemented a rebase script that (except for the first invocation)
> incrementally builds the rebase list by checking which package lists are
> older than the last time autorebase has been done.  Users can drop lists
> with their own executables and dynamic objects and these will also be
> rebased (update of those lists is the responsibility of the user).
> Additionally it takes over the job of perlrebase and allows to set the
> TSAware flag.
>
> After each installation with setup.exe (I remove the dependencies to
> _autorebase, so this is never installed or run), I call this script as
> follows:
>
> %CYGWIN_INST%\bin\ash -c "PATH=/bin rebaselst %REBUILD% update"
> %CYGWIN_INST%\bin\ash -c "PATH=/bin rebaselst %CLEARDB% rebase peflags"
>
> (one could in fact do that in a single invocation of ash, since the command
> line is processed strictly in sequence).  %REBUILD% and %CLEARDB% are
> normally the empty string, but can be set to "--rebuild" and "--cleardb" if
> necessary with an option to the setup.bat I'm using.
>
> The source package can be downloaded at:
>
> http://cygwin.stromeko.net/release/_incautorebase/_incautorebase-00001-4-
> src.tar.bz2
>
> Feedback is welcome.

I just had a look into the script and the idea looks good to me.

How do you imagine to integrate that script into the normal flow?  As
far as I'm concerned, it would be most helpful to integrate the
functionality into the rebaseall script, which can also be called from
the _autorebase postinstall script.

Red Hat