HEADSUP: lesstif replaced by motif

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue Nov 27 03:12:00 GMT 2012

On 11/26/2012 05:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> The initial output to the gdb window
> stops before the 'ü' in "Dorothea Lütkehaus" (internally this is ISO-8859-1
> encoded and presumably forms an invalid UTF-8 sequence)

Only the 7-bit ASCII subset of ISO 8859-x is legal UTF-8.

> This is listed in the ddd PROBLEMS file with solutions "don't use a UTF-8
> locale" or "link with lesstif" :-)

Isn't the core problem that DDD has been semi-maintainerless[*] for
years, and that these are the same as the years of UTF-8's ascendancy?

I ask because it's the basis of my guess is that if you tried to provide
a patch upstream, it would be ignored.  That, or they'd invite you to
become the new maintainer. :)

So, my advice is to either maintain a private patch for Cygwin DDD or
take over maintainership of DDD.

[*] https://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/news.html

> A minimal fix might be to just replace the
> ISO-8859-1 encoded strings with their ASCII equivalents (e.g. ü -> u)

German umlaut-ed characters are generally Anglicized as "ue", "oe", etc.

> a better solution might
> be to actually fix ddd, but I have no idea what would be involved.

The easiest way to fix this is with iconv(1):

     $ iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 < foo.c > foo-fixed.c
     $ wc -c foo.c foo-fixed.c
     N foo.c
     N+M foo-fixed.c
     $ mv foo-fixed.c foo.c

N is the original file size and M will be at least 1 byte per replaced
character, but potentially up to 3 per replaced character.

I suspect you'll run into a problem if you're using cygport.  It will
try to make a patch file for you when it sees that you've run iconv on
the -src directory contents, since the corresponding -origsrc files are
now different.  But, since cygport is running in a UTF-8 locale, it's
going to either truncate the 8859 input files or mangle them.  You might
have to do some shell script gymnastics to avoid this.

All the more reason to arm-twist upstream, if you can.  Or become
upstream. :)