Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name

Michael Benford michael.j.benford@gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:26:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:58:42 +0200, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2012 09:11 AM, Michael Benford wrote:
>> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
>> selection page when it starts.
>> And only runs the wizard when a current installation of the current
>> version is not detected.
>
> Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
> repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
> still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
> rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
> (since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
> different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
> command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and then
> users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the Windows
> shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option, although that
> will still require some user intervention rather than happening
> automatically.

I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini application
for launching other application with hard coded command-line arguments
using only win32)

>> The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
>> application installation files.
>> I suggest using the file name cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin
>> package manager.
>
> Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it yourself,
> but people have come to expect the name of the file that they download
> to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic has come up
> in the past, it has been rejected.

I would like to put it to a vote. If you vote please state why you chose
that position.