GCC-4.7.2-2: Go/No-go?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Thu Apr 11 20:42:00 GMT 2013

Am 11.04.2013 14:34, schrieb Dave Korn:

>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    If you really want to stick to an old
>> gcc, make sure it's not the default.  Call it gcc-3 or legacy-gcc, but
>> let's get it out of the way of the most recent version.
>    Yes, that's what I meant to imply by the wording.  Different name + suffixed
> executables = out of the way.
>
>    Also, I don't plan on doing it unless there's significant demand.
I would appreciate to keep it as gcc-3. The reason is quite peculiar;
gcc-4 changed the order of variables in the stack frame of a function
call, which led to one very specific interworking malfunction (between
mintty and mined) which in turn unveiled a very subtle bug. This is
material for very interesting debugging exercises for students... Not
sure whether it's significant but the changed variable order might in
fact affect other software as well.
------
Thomas