how to build setup.exe?

Fri Apr 26 18:56:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-04-26 10:35, SB Lock wrote:
> 1. do I need to download and build libbz2 liblzma libgcrypt or should
> bootstrap already be able to find them and the headers? do I need some
> extra build environment settings?

On Cygwin, you need to install the following packages and their
dependencies:

autoconf
automake
bison
flex
libtool
mingw64-i686-binutils
mingw64-i686-bzip2
mingw64-i686-gcc-core
mingw64-i686-gcc-g++
mingw64-i686-headers
mingw64-i686-libgpg-error
mingw64-i686-libgcrypt
mingw64-i686-runtime
mingw64-i686-xz
mingw64-i686-zlib

To build setup64.exe for the 64bit prerelease, use the mingw64-x86_64-*
versions of those packages instead.

Setup can also be built on currently supported Fedora systems by
installing the following packages and their dependencies:

autoconf
automake
bison
flex
libtool
mingw32-gcc-c++
mingw32-bzip2-static
mingw32-libgcrypt-static
mingw32-xz-libs-static
mingw32-zlib-static

For the 64bit setup64.exe, use the mingw64-* versions instead.

> 2. what should --build=, --host=, and --target= be? can I trust
> bootstrap to figure them out? (I've tried many manual settings and as I
> get different error messages each way, I'd like to start down the right
> path.)

If you want to build the 32bit setup.exe, then just leave it to
bootstrap.sh.  OTOH, for the 64bit setup64.exe, you also need to pass a
--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 flag.

> 3. I've seen reference to people "downloading the tarball" rather than
> running bootstrap.sh. If that's easier, where are these tarballs?

They no longer exist; use a CVS checkout instead.

Yaakov