why does setup keep trying to install non-required packages?

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epa.gov
Sun Aug 11 07:16:00 GMT 2013

Fairly often when I run setup just for updates, it selects new packages
for
installation that I haven't selected and that aren't required by any of
my
other packages.

Right now setup wants to install the login package.  I didn't select
it,
and if I unselect it the installation continues without any problem.
It
happened in setup-x86, and now setup-x86_64 wants to do it too.  I try
keep my installation slim, so I don't want setup to add new packages
that
aren't required and that I didn't select.

Has anyone else observed this?  Know the reason?  Are they new
packages,
and setup assumes I want all new packages?

Thanks,
Andrew.