why does setup keep trying to install non-required packages?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Aug 12 11:10:00 GMT 2013

> On Aug 11 09:41, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 8/11/2013 3:16 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> Fairly often when I run setup just for updates, it selects new packages for
>>> installation that I haven't selected and that aren't required by any of my
>>> other packages.
>>>
>>> Right now setup wants to install the login package.  I didn't select it,
>>> and if I unselect it the installation continues without any problem. It
>>> happened in setup-x86, and now setup-x86_64 wants to do it too.  I try to
>>> keep my installation slim, so I don't want setup to add new packages that
>>> aren't required and that I didn't select.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else observed this?  Know the reason?  Are they new packages,
>>> and setup assumes I want all new packages?
>>
>> login is in the Base category and so is installed by default.  It
>> was only recently added to the 64-bit distro, but I think it's been
>> in x86 for a long time.  The files on sourceware date from 2009.
>>
>> As far as I know, only things in Base and Misc (and their
>> dependencies) get installed by default.  (And packages in Misc are
>> usually there by mistake, because a maintainer forgot to provide a
>> setup.hint.)  I haven't observed any exceptions to this.
>
> Usually only Base and dependencies shoud be installed by default,
> not Misc.  Or did I miss something?

We had problems with expat packages being installed by default because
they were missing setup.hint files and therefore were put into Misc:

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-04/msg00234.html
   http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-07/msg00209.html

Maybe I jumped to an incorrect conclusion, but that (and earlier
instances of the same problem) made me think that Misc was installed by
default.

Ken