[RFU] Please upload: algol68g package updates

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Aug 12 21:12:00 GMT 2013

Am 11.08.2013 19:49, schrieb marco atzeri:
> Il 8/11/2013 7:02 PM, Thomas Wolff ha scritto:
>> Please upload the updated packages for algol68g (both 32 and 64 bit):
>>
>> cd algol68g
>> wget http://towo.net/algol68g/algol68g-2.7-0-src.tar.bz2
>> wget http://towo.net/algol68g/algol68g-2.7-0-`uname -m`.tar.bz2
>>
>> Thank you
>> Thomas Wolff
>
> you can not assume that
>  uname -m
>
> is providing anything useful.
uname -m works on every system I've tried (unlike uname -p, uname -i).
Very useful (e.g. in PATH=$HOME/bin/`uname`.`uname -m`:$PATH).

> Moreover we are not using the architecture on the binary file.
I think it is really not a good idea to have the same name for archives
of different packages. No other systems I know does this.
I had raised this issue well in time
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-04/msg00319.html) with some
initially positive responses (including yours) but unfortunately no
further discussion.
My upload request was a feable attempt to foster this discussion again...

By the way, I have managed meanwhile to package algol68g completely with
cygport (see my other thread which I will respond later) and will
provide another upload.

------
Thomas