nuke cygwin legacy?

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 07:00:00 GMT 2013

On 07/02/13 05:17, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Anyway, I'm sorry I put this to a vote.  I've nuked the legacy code from
> the release area.  I haven't removed the link from the web site so we'll
> see if someone complains to the cygwin mailing list.  As I mentioned,
> there were 14 attempts to download the legacy code last year.  That is
> not a strong justification for keeping it around.
Cygwin Legacy was downloaded only yesterday - I know, because I did it.
I have a client who insists on Cygwin 1.5. I have explained the risks
associated with this (and the benefits to be had by upgrading), but they
have their reasons and ultimately it's their decision.

Thankfully, I managed to find a site that was a little tardy in its
mirroring, and I now have Cygwin Legacy squirrelled away on a DVD,
should I ever need it again.

> Lots of OS distributions retire old versions.  We don't have to be an
> exception.
Indeed, but it *is* common for software providers to give some form of
notice first...

Dave.