GCC maintainer volunteer?

Wed Feb 27 13:59:00 GMT 2013

On Feb 27 21:29, JonY wrote:
> On 2/27/2013 21:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote
> >
> > Just upload the test release to the release area and write a TEST mail
> > to cygwin-announce.  Or is there anything special you'd like to do?
> >

> I'm worried that I might break gcc installs if I overlooked something
> obvious.
>
> The upload will be overwriting the .hint files, java and libffi are
> empty packages (I could not get java to build yet).

I'm not concerend about java (dum di dum), but why is libffi missing?

> I can't figure out
> how to pack the debuginfo package, it is always empty.

Yaakov might be able to help here.

> Will you be able to rollback my uploads in case something does go wrong?

In theory, yes.  If you leave the dependencies in place for the "curr"
release, then the test release shouldn't interfere and testers will
have to care for the stuff themselves.  Let's assume for a start, that
downmloaders of a gcc test package know what they are doing.

Another way to distinguish the new gcc from the current on would be
perhaps to create a "gcc472" package set, distinct from the other gcc
packages.  It could install itself into /usr/local, just for the test
period.
Yeah, I know, I know, no official package should install into
/usr/local.  Maybe /opt would be fine for once, too.

Red Hat