GCC maintainer volunteer?

JonY 10walls@gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:24:00 GMT 2013

On 2/27/2013 21:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 27 21:29, JonY wrote:
>> On 2/27/2013 21:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote
>>>
>>> Just upload the test release to the release area and write a TEST mail
>>> to cygwin-announce.  Or is there anything special you'd like to do?
>>>

>> I'm worried that I might break gcc installs if I overlooked something
>> obvious.
>>
>> The upload will be overwriting the .hint files, java and libffi are
>> empty packages (I could not get java to build yet).
>
> I'm not concerend about java (dum di dum), but why is libffi missing?

libffi only gets built when Java is enabled.

>> I can't figure out
>> how to pack the debuginfo package, it is always empty.
>
> Yaakov might be able to help here.

Hi Yaakov, I have gcc4_debuginfo_CONTENTS="usr/lib/debug/" in the
cygport file, any ideas?

>> Will you be able to rollback my uploads in case something does go wrong?
>
> In theory, yes.  If you leave the dependencies in place for the "curr"
> release, then the test release shouldn't interfere and testers will
> have to care for the stuff themselves.  Let's assume for a start, that
> downmloaders of a gcc test package know what they are doing.

Now this brings up a good question. libgnat4.5 became libgnat4.7 in
4.7.2, likewise for libobjc2 to libobjc4. So you are saying that I
should leave the runtime depends for 4.5.x?

> Another way to distinguish the new gcc from the current on would be
> perhaps to create a "gcc472" package set, distinct from the other gcc
> packages.  It could install itself into /usr/local, just for the test
> period.
> Yeah, I know, I know, no official package should install into
> /usr/local.  Maybe /opt would be fine for once, too.

That might be a saner approach to testing. Do I need to use postinstall
to add it to PATH? If so, how do I do that?