[64bit] python3 vs. threads

Tue Jul 30 22:54:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-06-03 23:30, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> Jason,
>
> As part of the 64bit bootstrap process, I packaged python3, but had to
> configure it --without-threads due to a runtime error.

I think I tracked down the source of the problem:

The PyThread TLS APIs, added in 3.2 via issue 9786 (namely,
PyThread_*_key and PyThread_*_key_value in Include/pythread.h and
Python/thread_pthread.h) assume sizeof(pthread_key_t) == sizeof(int).
However, on x86_64-cygwin, pthread_key_t is a pointer and so the native
calls fail when passed the incorrect values.

As for fixing it, we could s/int/long/g those APIs, but I'm not sure
what the ramifications of that might be.  Can you think of a better
solution?

Yaakov