[RFC] cygport documentation

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jun 13 22:53:00 GMT 2013

On 6/13/2013 13:50, Achim Gratz wrote:

> a tutorial or
> similarly styled explanation of how to use cygport,

That, or a recipe format, or a FAQ format.  That is, one that starts
with "how", rather than "what".

> it would probably
> help if the "manual" was called a "reference" to tone the expectations
> accordingly.

Agreed.  The current HTML manual -- awesome as it is compared to the old
README file -- relies on you know know what you're looking for already.
  The biggest holes remaining are the missing answers for questions of
the form, "How do I get Cygport to do X for me?"

It might also help to walk through several real cygport files:

1. A very basic one, such as one for an autotools based project that
requires no patching and no special configuration.

2. A more complicated one showing how to do common things.  You're in a
much better position than me to define "common", Yaakov, so I won't try.

3. One for a package with a seriously oddball build system, requiring
that you override a lot of what cygport tries to do for you by default.