Testing ping for cygwin x86_64

Balaji Venkataraman balaji.s.venkataraman@gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:17:00 GMT 2013

Hi - since ping appears to be currently orphaned, I wanted to see if I
can help out. It being a fairly simple package, definitely aided my
decision.

I downloaded the source for ping (Cygwin32). While I can't seem to get
the provided shell script to run right, I was able to apply the
included patch file and build the 32bit version. I tried building the
64bit version which did build and run fine on (Cygwin64 1.7.25). There
were a bunch of warnings (even without -Wall) in the 64bit build and I
patched them - mostly minor fixes like casts etc. and re-built/tested
both versions.

So, finally getting to my question - are the rudimentary ping tests
that I did, good enough to make this package worthy of release?

This being my first attempt at trying to possibly maintain a Cygwin
package, I want make sure I'm doing the right thing. One odd thing is
that all of the source code and Makefile are in the patch file. Also,
am I free to convert the package to cygport/ditch the shell script
etc. - I understand all that may typically be the maintainer's choice?
Advance thanks for any advice from you seasoned veterans.

Balaji