64-bit: Missing perl modules

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Tue Apr 8 20:52:00 GMT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Reini Urban writes:
>> Nope.
>
> Care to explain?

Already did. It's vastly easier to keep perl_vendor than to split it up.
For all parties.

>> You can do individual perlrebase or wait for the full autorebase for
>> every XS installation.
>
> Or do an ephemeral rebase that is taking the rebase map of the rest of
> the system correctly into account.

Only if you register each and every user module with the system.
But we don't want that.
I know that you want to cygport every single perl module, but this is a very
extreme position.

>> With individual split perl_vendor packages the user needs to wait for
>> every single rebase update.
>
> No.  You can run the incremental rebase directly if you wish and as long
> as the rest of the system had been rebased correctly it will only touch
> the new stuff.
>
>> With the combined perl_vendor I'll do it as part of the build step and
>> the user only needs to wait for one rebase run.
>
> You wouldn't need a special perlrebase for that, that's the whole point.

True. With proper EUMM and MB integration we would need no perlrebase.
But MB is a mess. And Module::Install even more. And I wonder what will
come up next. MB::Lite is already in the works just to bypass GNU make.

>> Sure, that's automatic of you care to package everything.
>> But updates come every week, not every two years.
>
> In my case I have to package things anyway since I need to distribute
> the to a bunch of machines that have no outward connection.  Besides the
> need for an internal CPAN mirror, I'd generally not trust a random user
> to run a CPAN update and make a judgment of whether or not everything
> worked as expected.  Packaging some 300 Perl distributions really is
> less work than any of the alternatives and keeping things up-to-date
> isn't all that time-consuming so far.

Fair enough. But then I would keep them uptodate with a simple cpan or
rsync, which is better than setup.exe.
No need to stop all services.
I maintain about 40 VM's this way, cross-version and platform.

cpan ensures proper testing and with CPAN::Reporter being integrated
the authors even get feedback.
strawberry perl does the same.