[HEADSUP] Base category

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Sat Dec 6 21:19:00 GMT 2014

David Stacey writes:
> I have to agree with Andrew here. Dependencies change, so decide what
> should be in 'Base' and let dependencies be pulled in as required. I
> have never been overly concerned that there are dependencies outside
> of 'Base'.

We could make setup pull all dependencies of Base packages in silently.
That would remove the surprise moment to new users; but we would need to
be extra careful not to pull in spurious dependencies like Perl again or
risk upsetting the experienced users.

> Maybe what we should consider is removing the 'Select required
> packages (RECOMMENDED)' check box on the 'Resolving Dependencies' page
> in the installer. Under what use case is unticking this a sensible
> idea?

Since setup doesn't have something like soft dependencies or recommends,
you can sometimes avoid pulling in large parts of the distribution by
skipping one key dependency (like Perl, for instance).  That will give
you reduced functionality of course, but if you know what you're doing
it may be what you really want.

Regards,
Achim.