[ITP] chicken-4.9.0.1

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 12:28:00 GMT 2014

On 12/10/2014 12:25 PM, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am a core developer of the CHICKEN scheme system. We have supported
> building and running CHICKEN on cygwin for almost a decade now. However
> I noticed that the current cygwin package has been outdated for years.

As the previous maintainer is missing from at least 2011...

> The current version that's listed is 3.4.0-0 which has been discontinued
> since 2006(?)...
>
> So I'd like to propose an update of said package to the current stable
> version as noted in the subject.

so it is a ITA (joking with our acronym style)

> CHICKEN scheme has been packages in SuSe, Redhat and Debian for quite a
> while. As an example have a look at
>
> http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/devel/rawhide/i386/c/chicken-4.9.0.1-2.fc22.i686.html
>
> I have generated a new port with the following cygport file:

> # package name
> NAME="chicken"
> VERSION=4.9.0.1
> RELEASE=1
>
> # setup.hint generation
> CATEGORY="interpreters"
> SUMMARY="A practical and portable scheme system."
> DESCRIPTION="A practical and portable scheme system.
> CHICKEN is a compiler for the Scheme programming language. CHICKEN
> produces portable and efficient C, supports almost all of the R5RS
> Scheme language standard, and includes many enhancements and
> extensions."
>
> REQUIRES="make gcc-core gcc-g++"
>
> # source and patch files
> SRC_URI="http://code.call-cc.org/releases/${PV}/${P}.tar.gz"
> MAKEOPTS="PLATFORM=cygwin"
>

> src_compile() {
>          cd ${S}
> 	cygmake
> }
>
> src_install() {
> 	cd ${S}
> 	cygmake install
> }
>
> The CHICKEN build system uses make only and builds in the source
> directory. The platform has to be passed on as shown above.
>
> As I only have access to a 32bit Windows Version (7) atm I am unable to
> test this for 64-bit builds.

 >>> Compiling chicken-4.9.0.1-1.x86_64
"make" -f ./Makefile.cygwin CONFIG= all
make[1]: Entering directory
'/cygdrive/e/cyg_pub/tmp/chicken-4.9.0.1-1.src/chick
                en-4.9.0.1-1.x86_64/src/chicken-4.9.0.1'
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H
-DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -c a
pply-hack.x86.S -o apply-hack.x86.o
apply-hack.x86.S: Assembler messages:
apply-hack.x86.S:35: Error: operand type mismatch for `call'
rules.make:184: recipe for target 'apply-hack.x86.o' failed
make[1]: *** [apply-hack.x86.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/cygdrive/e/cyg_pub/tmp/chicken-4.9.0.1-1.src/chicke
                 n-4.9.0.1-1.x86_64/src/chicken-4.9.0.1'
GNUmakefile:54: recipe for target 'all' failed

I guess you need use apply-hack.x86-64.S for 64bit.
How is it  managed on Linux ?

Time to move to a minimal config system upstream ?

> In case you want to have a look at the generated packages, you can find
> them here in the usual directory layout here:
>
> https://pestilenz.org/~ckeen/cygwin-ports/
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Christian

Regards