[RFC] incremental rebase

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Nov 16 16:46:00 GMT 2014

On 11/16/2014 11:20 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> Would it be very hard to allow perpetual postinstall scripts to run
>> either before or after all others?
>
> Not any harder than what is already there.  ALthough if we are going to
> create even more strata of postinstall phases I'd opt for some
> refactoring.
>
>> I could make very good use of this for improving the texlive
>> postinstall process.
>
> It's possible to do this with a perpetual script, assuming you use
> the actual postinstall scripts to create some trigger condition for the
> perpetual script to act upon, yes.  I'm not sure if this is the best or
> even most easily implemented solution, though.

It might not be the best solution long term, but I could achieve
substantial improvement without a great deal of effort.  See

   http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2014q4/003072.html

for an indication of what I'd like to do.  The author of that message
isn't aware of the issues involving the order of the postinstall
scripts, but I could do everything he suggests if I had a perpetual
"after" postinstall script.

Ken