MTA packaging (exim, postfix, sendmail, ssmtp)

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Tue Oct 7 20:48:00 GMT 2014

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Corinna, Christian, Daniel, Pierre,
>
> Because MTAs must be user-configured, and we certainly don't want to
> lose the selection during package upgrades, the alternatives cannot be
> handled in package postinst/prerm.  I think the only way to make this
> work is for each MTA config script to handle these instead by
> including the following snippets in the respective MTA config scripts.
>
> Please review this carefully in case I missed anything.

> postfix:
> ========
>
> /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta
> /usr/sbin/postfix.exe 0 \
>     --slave /usr/lib/sendmail mta-sendmail /usr/sbin/postfix.exe \
>     --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/sbin/postfix.exe \
>     --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases /usr/sbin/postfix.exe
>
> /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/postfix.exe

"postfix" is the control program, there is a separate "sendmail" command
for sendmail emulation. Attached is the alternatives part of the
/etc/postinstall/postfix.sh from the current draft postfix package. It
also provides links for the related man pages.

The Fedora postfix package also provides alternatives for
man5/aliases.5.gz and man8/smtpd.8.gz. Is this needed on Cygwin?

Thanks,
Christian