[ITP] Sendmail 8.14.9

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Mon Oct 27 17:07:00 GMT 2014

D. Boland wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I intend to package the Cygwin version of Sendmail, version 8.14.9.
>
> category: Mail
> requires: bash libdb4.8 libgcc1 libopenssl100 libsasl2_3 libwrap0 inetutils-server
> m4  procmail tcp_wrappers cyrus-sasl cygrunsrv
> sdesc: "The Mail Transfer Agent (mail server)"
> ldesc: "General purpose internetwork email routing facility that supports many kinds
>   of mail-transfer and delivery methods, including SMTP, SMTPS (STARTTLS), SMTPA
>   (AUTH) used for email transport over the internet."
>
> I've implementented the "alternatives" mechanism, so it can be installed alongside
> other Mail Transfer Agents, such as Exim, Postfix or ssmtp.

Please handle also the following man pages via "alternatives":

mailq(1), newaliases(1), aliases(5), sendmail(8).

These definitely will be in conflict with upcoming postfix package. Use
e.g. aliases.sendmail.5.gz as the real filename (as done on Fedora).
See also https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2014-10/msg00010.html and its
attachment.

Further suggestions:

The following should IMO never be done in a postinstall script:
- Creation of user and group accounts.
- Installation of services.
- Setting alternatives to manual mode (/usr/sbin/alternatives --set ...)
Please consider moving the above to the sendmail-config script.

- Remove formatted man pages in /usr/share/man/cat*, add troff versions
in /usr/share/man/man*.

- Move /etc/mail/FILE.default to /etc/defaults/etc/mail/FILE,
(post)install the files to /etc/mail if not existing, (pre)remove later
if not changed. The cygport function make_etc_defaults is your friend :-)

- Try to provide a debug package. Try to add this to CFLAGS:
   -ggdb -fdebug-prefix-map=${B}=/usr/src/debug/${PF}
Cygport may or may not handle the remaining details then.

Christian