upset, genini: different version ordering

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Aug 20 19:55:00 GMT 2015

Jon TURNEY writes:
> The idea that we need different way of sorting version strings for
> different packages seems really strange.

To me the idea of using a sort finction that is known to produce wrong
results seemed more strange.

> Does any other distro have something like this?  How do linux distros
> handle the special version number sorting requirements that perl
> apparently has?

Honestly, I don't know.  Perl and Perl distributions had their
versioning scheme sorted out years ago when CPAN entered the scene and
it became apparent that things were a lot more complicated than a quick
look would easily reveal.

The only discernible effect (and the desired one) in any case is that
you have to less often explicitly state which version is corrent or
previous.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: