Setup patch to keep test version if test version installed

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Tue Feb 3 20:38:00 GMT 2015

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Feb  3 18:08, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> > How so?  Setup is not a Cygwin application.
>>
>> Good point.  Then I've no idea at all, save the compiler.
>
> I had a look into this and even rearranged the behaviour when --help
> output is requested...
>
> However, I'm mildly sure this behaviour didn't change in the last couple
> of years.  The reason is that setup is not a console application but a
> GUI application.  When running a GUI application from CMD, CMD will
> detach.  Of course, when --help output is requested, setup calls
> AllocConsole, but that's too late.  This does not occur in a Cygwin
> shell becasue Cygwin always waits for process completion unless the
> process is sent to the background.
>
> I now made the latest setup 2.864 available as standard setup version
> on sourceware and removed the test releases.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  I've recently added
code to print an error message along with the parameter usage when a
wrong option or other non-parseable stuff was given instead of simply
exiting with no indication other than the non-zero exit code.  The
changes you've just installed look good to me, but they don't touch the
exit path in question:

     if (!GetOption::GetInstance ().Process (argc,_argv, NULL))
-      exit (1);
+      {
+	GetOption::GetInstance ().ParameterUsage (cerr
+						  << "\nError during option processing."
+						  << "\nCommand Line Options:\n");
+	exit (1);
+      }

I guess with those changes one could now use Log (LOG_TIMESTAMP) instead
of cerr in that place and hopefully the output would appear again?  I
was pretty certain I tested that in both mintty and CMD, but maybe
not...

Regards,
Achim.