cmake update needed

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:37:00 GMT 2015


On 2/5/2015 7:37 AM, Tony Kelman wrote:
>> Given our past experience[1][2] in working with upstream, anyone who
>> maintains a working cmake is going to have to carry patches long-term,
>> if not permanently.
>>
>> [1] http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10122
>> [2] http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-October/040353.html and
>> thread
>
> Yes, those took a while, but they were resolved eventually.

yes, it took a bit of diplomacy and a lot of patience.
I recommend the same for the future.

>> All these patches are the result of years of real-world usage of cmake,
>> and there will likely be more patches required in the future.  I can't
>> tell you off the top of my head which packages require each of these
>> changes, but I can tell you why they are necessary (and a few of them
>> should be quite obvious).
>
> That would help. Someone else is welcome to maintain the package without
> asking any questions, but if I'm going to do it I'd like to know what
> those patches are for. I have your git history, but your commit messages
> are not particularly enlightening. I'm asking for failure cases, links
> to bug reports or previous postings, or similar. I don't think that's an
> unreasonable request, is it? I'll put the patches back and rebuild, but
> I'd like to understand them first.

More easy to convince upstream if you know that also.

> -Tony

Thanks for taking over
Marco



More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list