[HEADSUP] Dropping libopenssl098 from distro

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Jan 23 13:48:00 GMT 2015

On 1/14/2015 4:19 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> If it's a problem with the Cygwin DLL, it would be nice to get a
>>> bug report and, preferredly, an STC, so we have a chance to fix this.
>>
>> AFAIK it's the same problem that produced the same symptoms in sqlite:
>> using a non-Cygwin API.  So no, I don't think the Cygwin DLL is to
>> blame.
>>
>>> Apart from that, I was only talking about the 32 bitr version anyway.
>>> It requires the wrong libopenssl and needs a simple rebuild for now.

>>> This is a bit annoying.  Libsigsegv should be optional, not required.
>>
>> I have no idea whether that's possible for clisp.
>
> It is.  There's a configure option "--ignore-absence-of-libsigsegv".  But there
> are more serious problems, affecting both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  (So
> even just rebuilding clisp for 32-bit Cygwin will take some work.)  The problem
> is that lisp.exe, which is built and used in the course of trying to build
> clisp.exe, crashes with a SEGV shortly after it's started.
>
> My reason for looking at this was that clisp is needed for building xindy, an
> optional component of TeX Live.  I did successfully build clisp in the 32-bit
> case four years ago, but I can't any more.  My guess (untested) is that this is
> because the location of the heap has changed since then, and maybe the source
> code makes unwarranted assumptions about memory layout.

My guess is correct.  lisp.exe uses bit 31 (counting from the LSB) as a marker
during garbage collection, and this is incompatible with Cygwin's use of high
memory for the heap.  I think I know how to fix this (by defining
LINUX_NOEXEC_HEAPCODES in the Cygwin build), but I haven't finished testing it yet.

I'd like to know Reini's intentions before investing any more time in this.
BTW, I am *not* qualified to take over as clisp maintainer.  I've never used
clisp, and I know nothing about it other than the tiny bit I've learned from
debugging the crash I mentioned above.

Ken