Setup patch to keep test version if test version installed

Mon Jan 26 09:58:00 GMT 2015

On Jan 25 18:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Example:
>
>   foo-1.22-1 is installed
>   foo-1.23-1 is curr
>   foo-1.24-1 is test
>   ==> Setup chooses 1.23-1 as default.
>
> User installs 1.24-1.  Next Setup run:
>
>   foo-1.24-1 is installed
>   foo-1.23-1 is curr
>   foo-1.24-1 is test
>   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-1 as default.
>
> Maintainer releases a new test version:
>
>   foo-1.24-1 is installed
>   foo-1.23-1 is curr
>   foo-1.24-2 is test
>   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.
>
> Maintainer releases test version as curr version:
>
>   foo-1.24-2 is installed
>   foo-1.24-2 is curr
>   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.
>
> Maintainer releases new test version:
>
>   foo-1.24-2 is installed
>   foo-1.24-2 is curr
>   foo-1.25-1 is test
>   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.

Another case occured to me a few minutes ago.

What if the "test" version gets removed, without updating "curr"?

  foo-1.24-1 is installed
  foo-1.23-1 is curr
  no test version

  Now what?

  Right now, Setup pulls the user back to "curr", so 1.23-1 will be
  preselected.  This is more or less equivalent to `yum distro-sync'
  on Fedora.

  What would make more(?) sense is sticking to "installed" instead,
  because the version number is higher than the "curr" version.  This
  behaviour would reflect the behaviour of `yum update'.

What do you think?

Red Hat