cygport: 'announce' feature branch

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Wed Nov 4 00:10:00 GMT 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 18:23 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/3/2015 3:06 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > I just created a new 'announce' feature branch in cygport git:
> >
> > https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport/tree/announce
> >
> > The new 'announce' command generates an announcement template from
> > the .cygport file based on NAME/VERSION/RELEASE, PKG_NAMES, and
> > DESCRIPTION, to which you can easily add release-specific information,
> > and then sends the message via an SMTP server.  Note that this adds
>
> This is a nice feature.  Thanks.
>
> > dependencies on perl-Authen-SASL, perl-MIME-tools, and
>
> perl-MIME-tools isn't in the distro yet.

Good point, I just moved it in from Ports.

> If there's no mailserver configured, I'd like to see cygport save the
> mbox file in the current directory and give an informational message,
> rather than saving it in /tmp and giving an error message.  Users might
> want to simply paste it into an email, and the error message seems a
> little unfriendly.

First, I have already changed SMTP_SERVER to default to localhost,
matching git's behaviour.  (If it wasn't already painfully obvious, this
is all modelled after git send-email.)  Therefore, the error message now
reflects an actual failure to send the message.  As for the location of
the mbox file, it's something I'm willing to consider.

> P.S. You still haven't applied the texlive patch from
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-08/msg00019.html; is this just an
> oversight, or do you need me to explain in more detail why it's needed?

Oversight; August was a busy month.  Applied.

--
Yaakov