CALM: error while merging uploaded packages for db (obsoleting db4.8)

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Aug 23 10:15:00 GMT 2016

On 23/08/2016 07:57, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > Dr. Volker Zell writes:
>     >> Could somebody please check out what's wrong with my latest "db" upload
>     >> for x86_64 and x86 and the "db4.8" upload for x86 (should be obsoleted
>     >> by "db"). It somehow seems to be stuck in my staging area without
>     >> getting moved to the release area.
>
>     > Did you place a !ready file?
>
> I thought it's not needed when doing a cygport upload. At least that's
> the case with my other uploads so far.

cygport upload creates the !ready file for you.

I'm afraid calm isn't very intelligent and removes all the !ready files
after an error has occurred, so you need to replace it to make it try to
process the uploads again.

Anyhow, on to today's error:

> ERROR: package 'db4.8' version '4.8.30-2' source has no non-empty install tarfiles
> ERROR: error while validating merged x86 packages for Dr. Volker Zell

So, this error is caused by the fact that db4.8-4.8.30-2 source pacakge
exists, and is non-empty, but the db4.8, db4.8-doc and libdb4.8-devel
packages it creates are all empty obsoletion packages.

This is unusual, as in all existing cases, the superseding package (in
this case 'db' is replacing 'db4.8') source would create the obsoletion
packages.

I've moved db4.8-4.8.30-2-src.tar.xz aside and reset !ready to allow the
upload to proceed.

(This is disallowed because we had a few cases where source for removed
packages was being retained in the distro only because it was referenced
by an obsoletion package.  This seems to be the case here with the
db-4.8.30 source.)

I'll see if I can find a better way to handle these cases in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience.