network installation problems (again)

D. Boland daniel@boland.nl
Sat Jan 2 08:26:00 GMT 2016

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 01.01.2016 um 09:44 schrieb D. Boland:
>> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am again having problems to install cygwin on a network drive. It's
>>> in the same network I had similar problems before:
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-11/msg00034.html
>>> which were then resolved after a while.
>>> The client machines are now new, running Windows 7. Domain server is
>>> the old one.
>>> My description log of actions and popup errors is attached below.
>>> There was no way to install on the network. I could install to the C:
>>> drive and move that over to the network where it would then run.
>>>

>> Happy new year, y'all!
>>
>> You shouldn't try to install Cygwin on a network share and execute it
>> locally. That's like installing and running Linux on a Samba share.
>>
>> If you want to use a single Cygwin distro on all computers in your
>> network, you should install it on the target host, including the
>> openssh daemon. Then on the client machines, you use Putty to log on
>> to the host.
> I need Cygwin on the network clients, not on a server (and this has been
> working for years, just with occasional install problems).
> Also (if I understand your first sentence correctly), I did not try to
> install centrally for client use, but to install on a client for that
> client's use, just on a network drive. And in fact that's the only
> option on that system which is a lab network and the local (C:) drives
> are cleared after each reboot.
> ------
> Thomas

So you're kind of hacking into your lab computers, right? :-) I noticed
something in your original output:

---------------------------
Fehler
---------------------------
Directory H:\tmp does not exist, would you like me to create it?
---------------------------
Ja   Nein
---------------------------

And:

Cygwin Setup
Cannot open log file L:\TGI\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing
OK

That's strange. Setup tries to install on different disks. Does the
network share change each time you log on?

Daniel