Fwd: calm: cygwin package upload report from sourceware.org for Marco Atzeri

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat Jul 30 11:47:00 GMT 2016

On 30/07/2016 05:45, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> I have some problem to remove the obsolete versions
>
> The usual trick before was to remove all
>
> x86/release/ImageMagick/-ImageMagick-6.9.0.0-4-src.tar.xz
> x86/release/ImageMagick/libMagickC++6_5/-libMagickC++6_5-6.9.0.0-4.tar.xz
> x86/release/ImageMagick/libMagickC++6_5/-setup.hint
>
> x86_64/release/ImageMagick/-ImageMagick-6.9.0.0-4-src.tar.xz
> x86_64/release/ImageMagick/libMagickC++6_5/-libMagickC++6_5-6.9.0.0-4.tar.xz
>
> x86_64/release/ImageMagick/libMagickC++6_5/-setup.hint
> x86_64/release/ImageMagick/libMagickCore6/-libMagickCore6-6.9.0.0-4.tar.xz
> x86_64/release/ImageMagick/libMagickCore6/-setup.hint
>
> but calm seems to have problem with it.

Hi,

Sorry about the inconvenience.

The problem that calm is complaining about here is that removing the
last version of these packages will leave the package with no versions
(since you want to remove the package entirely).

While historically permitted by uspet, removing a package doesn't make
much sense, currently.

setup doesn't do anything about installed packages which have
disappeared from setup.ini, so the files a removed package contains will
linger indefinitely in any existing installs (which also creates the
possibility of pathname collisions with future packages)

Normally, where a package has been replaced or superseded by another
package, it is updated with an empty, obsolete version, which depends on
it's replacement, so existing installs are updated to that.

But that's not usually appropriate for an old soversion of a shared
library (even though it has no users left in the distro, there may be
3rd party packages or local builds which depend on the old soversion),
so it should be kept.

I'd appreciate your help in understanding if either of those cases
applies to these packages, or if something else is needed here...