[ACTION REQUIRED] ARCH=noarch uploads with cygport 0.22.0

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Mon Jun 6 22:24:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-05-10 17:11, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Package Maintainers,
>
> cygport 0.22.0 is on its way to the mirrors.  With this release, and
> thanks to Jon Turney's continuing work on calm (the replacement for
> upset which generates setup.ini), packages marked ARCH=noarch will be
> uploaded once under the /noarch/release hierarchy instead of into each
> of /x86/release and /x86_64/release.  This change is intended to save
> disk space and bandwidth for both sourceware and our mirrors.
>
> A package should be marked ARCH=noarch IF AND ONLY IF *all* subpackages
> thereof do not contain anything compiled with the *native* gcc, and the
> file contents are (or can be) 100% identical for x86 and x86_64.
> Examples include, but are not limited to, packages which contain only:
>
> * documentation;
> * scripts;
> * fonts;
> * icon themes;
> * other runtime data;
> * C/C++ headers without a library;
> * libraries for cross-compiler toolchains.
> * pure Lua/Perl/Python/Ruby/Tcl modules without C/C++ bindings.
>
> Once you have upgraded to cygport 0.22.0, maintainers MUST email a list
> of their package(s) which qualify as noarch AND are already marked
> ARCH=noarch or will be with the next release.  (Note that inheriting
> cross.cygclass implies ARCH=noarch.)  A new release is NOT necessary
> just to add ARCH=noarch to the .cygport, just that it should be added
> locally so as to be included in the next release.  We will then move
> these packages into /noarch/release on sourceware and acknowledge such,
> at which point you are clear to upload future releases.

So far we have managed to reduce the download area by 20% (16.8 GiB),
which is great progress.  Thank you all for helping make this happen.

The attached list contains packages which on the surface appear to be
noarch but haven't been moved yet.  PLEASE **DOUBLE-CHECK** your
packages on this list, and if your package qualifies, proceed as above.
If not, please state why for future reference.

--
Yaakov