Building from source packages

Achim Gratz Stromeko@Nexgo.DE
Sat May 14 07:23:00 GMT 2016

Am 13.05.2016 um 16:33 schrieb Jon Turney:
> Out of the 3135 cygported packages for x86, only 175 set DEPEND.
>
> I don't know how we can ensure DEPEND contains accurate information
> without some sort of build service which tests that it does.

That's the trouble exactly.  There is no way to find out if your build
dependencies are complete short of starting with a base installation and
then adding them one-by-one.  So far I've typically only added
dependencies when the build would otherwise succeed anyway (due to
alternatives picked up in configury).

> Also, there's probably room here for some policy on what is and isn't
> required in DEPEND i.e. packages essential for building, which are
> already dependencies of cygport, probably don't need to be listed.
> Additionally, some cygclasses probably imply additional build
> dependencies, i.e. 'inherit gnome' implies gnome-common is a build-dep,
> etc.

That will occasionally fall flat on its face when the dependencies of
those tools themselves change, but then it is hard to figure out what
the actual dependencies are unless you try to build manually, see above.

> Further, turning DEPEND into a list of cygwin packages to install can be
> complex (e.g., if it contains some pkgconfig atoms, it requires
> knowledge of the files contained in all packages to find the one which
> contains a particular .pc file).

Isn't that what cygcheck does?  What's missing is a record of all files
read during the build from the installation.

> A few packages mistakenly use DEPENDS rather than DEPEND, which is
> silently ignored
>
> pkg           maintainer
> cloog-isl     Achim Gratz
> isl           Achim Gratz
> mpclib        Achim Gratz

Heh.  I'm pretty sure I've inherited the packages that way...  I'll try
to remember that these need cleanup.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)