Cygwin 2.876 64bit - Boost 1.60 asio does not compile

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Fri Oct 7 22:55:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-10-07 10:19, Tommaso Fabbri wrote:
> I have a Windows 10 system running the latest version of Cygwin 64 bit.
> IÂ’ve installed all the Boost libraries and cmake, make packages to develop
> under Windows like on *nix systems.
> When I try to compile a simple application including the boost-asio library
> like the following, it fails.
>
> #include <boost/asio.hpp>
> int main(int argc, char**argv)
> {
>     return 0;
> }

WFM, but then again you didn't tell us *how* were trying to compile it
until...

> I report the stackoverflow discussion link:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39894006/how-to-use-boost-asio-library-with-cygwin-64-bit

Which shows you're making several mistakes:

* -std=c++11; use -std=gnu++11 instead;

* -D__USE_W32_SOCKETS; winsock cannot be combined with Cygwin's *NIX
socket APIs, so do NOT define this.  If you want a pure Windows build of
this code without the Cygwin dependency, then use mingw64-*-boost with
the mingw64 toolchains (and also link with -lws2_32);

* not linking with -lboost_system;

* attempting to get authoritative answers outside of this list.

--
Yaakov