[ITP] FUSE 2.8

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Mon Sep 5 09:36:00 GMT 2016

Bill Zissimopoulos wrote:
> Mark, hi:
>
> On 8/22/16, 12:43 PM, cygwin-apps-owner@cygwin.com on behalf of Mark
> Geisert wrote:
 >
>> I'm debugging some faulting test programs so this cygfuse code doesn't
>> seem fully ready for prime time just yet.  I'm sure Bill had it working
>> so
>> it's likely to be some kind of local issue, so it's mine to solve.
>
> While still on vacation I now have reliable access to the Internet and am
> able to follow up on any issues. Please let me know what the issue you are
> seeing is and I will try to help.

Sorry for the delay.  I've 'git clone'd the cygfuse repository and have been
poking around, building and testing things.  'make cygfuse-test.exe' does build
a cygfuse-test.exe but running it yields a core dump.  Exit status is 134.

I'm just running it without any args.  Is that abort a symptom of not having the
WinFSP driver loaded, or something else?  Cygfuse works for both 32- and 64-bit
Windows environments, right (assuming you're running the correct one)?

Separate from that, it's been a little work disentangling the meaning of various
names used for this project.  Here's what I think the names mean:

FUSE - a protocol, which exists in different versions
WinFSP - a Windows-native DLL mapping FUSE 2.8 ops to/from Windows file ops
cygfuse - a Cygwin DLL allowing Cygwin SSHFS and FUSEPY to use WinFSP

If that's correct, I'd like to regularize the names of things in the proposed
cygfuse package to accurately reflect their meaning.  E.g., change fuse.cygport
to cygfuse.cygport, etc.  The doc inside some files might need updating.

I wasn't sure from Corinna's comments a while back (re hosting this package)
whether she thought cygfuse should be part of Cygwin, as in placed in the Cygwin
source tree, or just conveniently hosted on the Cygwin GitHub area.

That's where I'm at.  Thanks for reading.

..mark