per-version hints proposal

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 15:14:00 GMT 2016

On 18/09/2016 06:17, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 17/09/2016 08:14, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Jon Turney writes:
>>> Currently, the setup.hint file is shared between all versions.
>>>
>>> This means that manual intervention (by the package maintainer, or on
>>> sourceware) is needed when versions have different dependencies.
>>>
>>> To automate this problem out of existence, I suggest replacing the
>>> setup.hint file in an upload with a package-version-release.hint file.
>>
>> Since this is now moving into reality, the documentation in
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/setup.html
>>
>> has become out-of-date.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>>

> are we not yet missing an updated cygport release ?
> Or a test one

Yes, this is only usable by people running cygport from git, currently.

After I wrote the documentation update, I found it needs to describe
the backwards-compatible use of setup.hint.

Given that, there didn't seem to be any harm in pushing the
documentation update now.

Achim,

I notice the section about postinstall scripts doesn't mention permanent
postinsall scripts at all.

Could you possibly provide a couple of paragraphs?