per-version hints proposal

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Sep 18 16:40:00 GMT 2016

On 9/18/2016 11:14 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 18/09/2016 06:17, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>>> Since this is now moving into reality, the documentation in
>>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/setup.html
>>>
>>> has become out-of-date.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Achim.
>>>

>> are we not yet missing an updated cygport release ?
>> Or a test one
>
> Yes, this is only usable by people running cygport from git, currently.
>
> After I wrote the documentation update, I found it needs to describe
> the backwards-compatible use of setup.hint.
>
> Given that, there didn't seem to be any harm in pushing the
> documentation update now.
>

> Achim,
>
> I notice the section about postinstall scripts doesn't mention permanent
> postinsall scripts at all.
>
> Could you possibly provide a couple of paragraphs?

Another thing: The page still says that all release announcements should
contain information about unsubscribing from the cygwin-announce mailing
list.  But it seems that many (most?) maintainers have stopped doing
this.  And 'cygport announce' doesn't do it.  Should that instruction be
removed?

Ken