perl-5.24?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Apr 7 21:57:00 GMT 2017

On 7/18/2016 8:03 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/18/2016 3:39 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown <kbrown@...> writes:
>>> I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
>>> developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
>>> it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
>>> supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator
>>> syntax".
>>
>> The RC1 for 5.24.1 is available now.  If it's binary compatible with the
>> 5.22 modules, I could update  Perl without too much trouble, I think.
>
> Thanks.  The INSTALL file says that it's not binary compatible and that
> XS modules will have to be recompiled.  It looks like we have about 8 of
> those in the distro.

It looks like 5.26.0 is due to be released in a couple weeks.  What are
your plans for updating?  Do you think it might happen in time for TeX
Live 2017 (expected to be released in late May or early June)?  If not,
I'll probably have to temporarily go back to the old system of shipping
biber as a packed Perl archive.

Thanks.

Ken