[ITP] man-italic

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Apr 21 07:59:00 GMT 2017

Hi Jon,

Am 19.04.2017 um 20:38 schrieb Jon Turney:
> On 28/09/2016 20:46, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> The man-italic wrapper scripts enable italic display in manual pages
>> (where italic is specified in the page) in terminals supporting
>> italic mode.
>>
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-0.tar.bz2
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-src.tar.bz2
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/setup.hint
>
> This seems to have fallen through the cracks and been completely
> forgotten.  Sorry about that.
Fine you noticed anyway:)

> Looking at this, I see that this is not a cygport package.  While this
> is something which has been done historically, and I know it may seen
> overkill for something this small, it's something I'm very reluctant
> to see in new packages.
As you say, overkill; I've fiddled around with cygport a few times
already and I can't say I'm happy with it. While it seems to be
powerful, especially basic use isn't documented in a basic way... Would
you have a pattern for a script-only package for me, or even ready-to-use?

> The license which applies to the original work here needs to be stated.
Checking the package contributor's guide, a license does not seem to be
strictly necessary, so I thought for a simple thing it could go as
public domain implicitly. But if you prefer, I'll attach a gnu to it.

> It would be helpful if the description clarified that what this does
> is "show italic text in man pages properly as italic, rather than as
> underlined"
You mean the sdesc one-liner, not ldesc? I'd like to include the
"enabling" aspect because the package does not do the actual display
itself and does not need to be invoked as a tool, like:
sdesc: "Enabling proper italic display of italic text in man pages,
rather than underlined"
OK?

> That said, this works and is pretty cool. Nice!
Thanks. Would that be a "GTG" after sorting out the issues, or are still
3 supporters needed as there used to be?

Thomas