libtool not finding /usr/lib/libintl.la or what?

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Sat Jul 1 07:18:00 GMT 2017

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 01/07/2017 07:47, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Esteemed co-conspirators,
>> I've been pulling my hair out trying to build a new cygutils package on
>> 32-bit Cygwin.  The exact same source package builds fine on 64-bit but
>> 32-bit fails with the following...
>>
>>   CC       src/ipc/semstat.o
>>   CXX      src/cygdrop/src_cygdrop_cygdrop-cygdrop.o
>>   CCLD     src/cygicons/libicons.la
>>   CCLD     src/banner/banner.exe
>> libtool:   error: cannot find the library '/usr/lib/libintl.la' or
>> unhandled argument '/usr/lib/libintl.la'
>
> it is pulled by /usr/lib/libpopt.la.
>

> try
>
> $ cd /usr/lib
> $ mv libpopt.la libpopt.la_bk
>
> and run again make in build

Amazing.  That does work.  But what is the correct way to deal with this
when some random user wants to build 32-bit cygutils from source?  Should
the build procedure actually do what you suggested?  I could not figure
out which package supplies (or used to supply) libintl.la for 32 bits.
Thanks much,

..mark