Providing/Packaging a Postinstalled SUSV4 Doc only Package a la Debian

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 15:43:00 GMT 2017

On 06/03/17 20:42, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Debian provides a SUSV4 package which downloads the tar.bz2 and installs
> the HTML tree from:
>
> 	http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/download/
>
> in the postinstall script, as they believe that complies with the terms
> permitting individual download stated and linked at:
>
> 	http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/terms.htm
>
> 	http://www.opengroup.org/legal
>
> Is there any interest in such a package in Cygwin, and is this approach
> acceptable?

Given that no-one else has replied:

Point (2) of the T&Cs linked above state that you are required to supply
a name and e-mail address for each publication requested. You're not
doing that (and neither should you without user consent), and so for me
it has to be an automatic 'No' for not complying with the T&Cs. IANAL.

Otherwise, I am nervous about setting a precedent for a package that
could give different contents each time it is installed (yes, Microsoft,
I'm looking at you too). And there are plenty of corner cases where this
wouldn't work: offline installs, web proxies, or if the account
performing the Cygwin install (e.g. Administrator) was blocked from
accessing the web (on security grounds).

My thoughts aren't all negative though - there's clearly benefit in what
you're trying to achieve.

Dave.