are curr: and test: no longer accepted in .hint files?

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Mar 24 17:34:00 GMT 2017

On 24/03/2017 16:18, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I tried adding
>
> curr: 1.7.3.2-1
> test: 2.0.0-b9-1
>
> to the .hint files in my latest upload of socat. Those fields used to be
> supported to indicate current and test versions, but this time I got this
> back from calm:
>
> ERROR: package 'socat': unknown key curr at line 10
> ERROR: package 'socat': test has non-empty value '2.0.0-b9-1'
> ERROR: errors while parsing hints for package 'socat'
> ERROR: package 'socat-debuginfo': unknown key curr at line 6
> ERROR: package 'socat-debuginfo': test has non-empty value '2.0.0-b9-1'
> ERROR: errors while parsing hints for package 'socat-debuginfo'
> ERROR: error while reading uploaded arch x86 packages from maintainer
> Andrew Schulman
> ERROR: package 'socat': unknown key curr at line 10
> ERROR: package 'socat': test has non-empty value '2.0.0-b9-1'
> ERROR: errors while parsing hints for package 'socat'
> ERROR: package 'socat-debuginfo': unknown key curr at line 6
> ERROR: package 'socat-debuginfo': test has non-empty value '2.0.0-b9-1'
> ERROR: errors while parsing hints for package 'socat-debuginfo'
> ERROR: error while reading uploaded arch x86_64 packages from maintainer
> Andrew Schulman
>
> What's the supported way now to tell calm which versions are previous,
> current, and test when you need to override the defaults?

I'm assuming you have a recent cygport, which is now generating
<pvr>.hint rather than setup.hint files.

It's not helpful to mention specific versions in a <pvr>.hint files, so
curr: is not permitted, and test: is not permitted to specify a version

If you need to override the default version ordering, then a separate
per-package override.hint [1] can be used.

In this case, I think all you want to do is continue to mark 2.0.0-b9-1
as a 'test' version.  As discussed in [2], the current thinking is that
should be achieved with a 'test:' label in the associated pvr.hint, but
unfortunately, this package pre-dates the pvr.hint changes, so you'll
have to use override.hint

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html#override.hint
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-12/msg00005.html