setup and colons in filenames

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 16:14:00 GMT 2017

On 25/10/2017 22:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 25 21:36, Jon Turney wrote:

>>> Colons in Cygwin filenames will have 0xf03a value in WIN32.  The code to
>>> transpose special chars into the private use area at 0xf0XY is in setup,
>>> but I'm not sure if setup is really working correctly with archives
>>> containing a colon.
>> I think the package archives are stored using native Windows filenames, not
>> cygwin filenames (i.e. file:// paths rather than cygfile:// paths), because
>> the "Local Package Directory" is not necessarily under the cygwin root, so
>> I'm not sure that transformation applies.
>
> The transposition is handled in mklongpath, which is called in nt_fopen,
> or called manually in other callers of nt_wfopen to construct the long
> path.  In theory, this should cover all bases...

Yes, you are quite correct, and this transformation is happening, so
there is no problem here.

(I think what I did to confuse myself was look at the "Local Package
Directory" in Cygwin shell without even thinking about it, and saw the
filenames being shown with a ':', while thinking they were Windows
filenames...)