[ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Mon Jul 16 08:02:00 GMT 2018

On Jul 16 16:14, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:24:28 -0600
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:
> > I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
> > privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
> > elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
> > request.
>
> ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.

I'm pretty sure I wrote this a couple years back but I was overruled:

I don't think we should package ping at all.  It's just not feasible to
install a ping which doesn't work 99% of the time but is earlier in
$PATH than the working ping.

So please let's keep ping at least in a separate package, as long as we
don't have a ping working for non-admin accounts as well.

Red Hat