[ITA] rsh-0.17-3

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:40:00 GMT 2018

On 7/16/2018 12:06 PM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:54:02 -0400
> cyg Simple wrote:
>> On 7/16/2018 5:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> As a compromise, we could continue to provide the client package and
>>> just discontinue the server package, but it's your choice.
>>
>> What use would there be even for the client?  Even in my home mode
>> connecting to BlueHost or any other such service I need ssh to connect
>> to my server.
>
> The existence of the rsh package itself does not pose a vulnerability
> to cygwin. People who do not need rsh package do not have to install it.
>
> Should not it leaves on users to decide whether to install or not?
> I think that it is better for users to have a choice.

Not when the number of users is less than the requirements to keep the
resource.  You package it, upload it to Cygwin servers and then it is
copied to many servers as a mirror for it to sit and not be used.  It
doesn't sit well for Cygwin to waste such resources for software
technology that has been dying for decades.  Remove it and let the
masses change their habits.  I know it's a pain as I've experienced the
removal of rsh access when I was working but changes were made and we
adapted to the change.

--
cyg Simple