[Bug] Re3gression in setup handling of SHA512 checksum failures

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Mar 22 22:01:00 GMT 2018

On 21/03/2018 18:14, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/20/2018 4:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown writes:
>>> I'll look into both of these issues, unless Jon beats me to it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>> By the way, this only affects local installs.  For network installs,
>>> the hash gets checked at an earlier stage.
>>
>> That's correct.  I forgot to mention that, but all my installs are from
>> a local mirror (necessary due to the way network access is restricted at
>> my workplace)
>
> I haven't been able to come up with a safe way to recover from a
> checksum error at this point, at least not without a lot of work.  I
> propose that we just bail out with an appropriate error message in this
> situation.
>
> Patch attached.

Thanks.

Yeah, this seems entirely reasonable.

Even the previous behaviour is wrong in unattended mode, i.e. 'setup -q
-P foo -L' should definitely stop with an error if the package for foo
is corrupt, rather than silently doing our best.