setup and 'provides:'

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Tue Oct 9 18:01:00 GMT 2018

Ken Brown writes:
>>>  So we'd need to bolt on a feature space in setup as well.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  setup doesn't need to know whether a
> requirement is a feature or a package.  It simply passes the dependencies (and
> the provides) to libsolv, which handles them just fine.

If we have features, then setup would need to show them somewhere and it
would be awkward if that info was empty for most packages.  Then people
will want to install features instead of packages anyway, so that is
another nudge into "featurizing" the whole distribution.  In other
words, once we start using "provides:" in that way, I think it should
become mandatory.

Regards,
Achim.